Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Top 10 Jewish Albums Since 1999

The beauty of music is that it is, quite literally, the language of the soul. And just as each soul is unique, so does each expression manifest itself in a distinct manner. No two people have the exact same taste, appreciation, or definition of what is considered "good music". Well, except for some of the better-known Jewish composers of today, but that's a rant for a different time.

With that being said, in addition to the fact that I wish to procrastinate instead of actually studying for a final, I present my top 10 Jewish albums since 1999. Why 1999? Because that is when Shalsheles, my favorite artist, entered the music scene.

Disclaimer 1: I'm not the biggest Fried or MBD fan so don't expect any of their albums on here.
Disclaimer 2: If you're not a fan of the whole boy's choir genre, you'll hate this list even more.
Disclaimer 3:If you disagree, that's fine. It's my list.



10. Dovid Gabay- Legabay
Dovid Gabay Legabay

This was, quite simply, a fun album. "Legabay" was far and away the most popular song of 2006, I particularly enjoyed the 9-minute "Havi'i", and "Tamshich" was a genuinely good Jewish-rock song- quite a rarity.

9. Shwekey- Yedid
Shwekey-Yedid
Loaded with classics such as "Veharev Na", "Im Eshkachech", and "Shema Yisrael" (okay maybe the last one isn't a 'classic', but it's definitely well-known), in addition to immensely-popular-at-the-time-songs such as "Ben Bag Bag", "Hu Yiftach", and "Yedid", this album stood out during a particularly solid stretch of Jewish music. For old times sake, go listen to Ben Bag Bag and see how long it takes to get out of your head.

8. Baruch Levine- Vezakeini
Baruch Levine vezakeini
While not wall-to-wall great, this album thrusts itself onto the list largely on the strength of its two mega-classics, "Vezakeini" and "V'hu Keili". Those two highlight a very strong debut solo effort by one of the most prolific composers ever.

7. Shwekey- Libi Bamizrach
Shwekey Libi Bamizrach

Though not the first "Sefaradi" album, and even though many of the songs were "diluted Sefaradi", the quality from beginning to end is the reason why I place it this high. Unfortunately, the faux-Israeli/faux-Sefaradi trend has gone off the rails, making quite a number of recently released songs simply unlistenable. 

6. The Chevra 2
Chevra 2 top 10
This is Eli Gerstner at his 2002-2005 peak. Every song is tightly and masterfully produced, and the slow songs- particularly "Shalom", "Odcha" and the severely underrated "Y'hi Hashem"- still remain some of my favorites.

5. Shalsheles 1
Shalsheles
I couldn't keep my intense Shalsheles bias reined in any longer. What more can you want from a debut album? An enduring super-classic "Esa Einai", superb kumzits songs ("Ekrah", "Kivisi", "Hakshiva"), and superior production and arrangement all combine to form the gold standard for an artist's introduction to the scene.

4. YBC- Ve'ohavta
YBC Ve'ohavta

As mentioned earlier, I consider 2002-2005 to be the peak of Eli Gerstner's run, when he released albums such as V'ishei Yisroel, Menucha, Chevra 2, Tek-Noy, YBC 1, and this album, Ve'ohavta. What made this album so unique, in my mind at least, is that with the exception of Kumu, the songs were absent of that kiddie element, a huge plus in my mind. 

3. NYBC 1 
NYBC top 10
Everything that Yitzy Bald touches turns to gold. Many of the bigger names in Jewish music over the last two decades- Sruly Williger, Shloime Dachs, Mendy Wald, Dovid Gabay, Pruz- saw themselves catapulted to the forefront of the scene when collaborating with him. Therefore, I expected this album to be very good. I did not, however, anticipate the sheer excellence of this project. It combined new-school sound with vintage Yitzy Bald composition/arrangement, something I'd pay to hear any given day.

2. Baruch Levine- Chasan Hatorah

Chasan Hatorah Baruch Levine
While I'm sure there are many superlatives to apply to this album, the one I think accurately sums up Chassan Hatorah is 'beautiful'. It's simply a beautiful album, with beautiful songs, fine production, and the "Baruch Levine Classics" track is the icing on the cake.

Shalsheles 2
My favorite album from my favorite artist of all time. This album ages like fine wine- it just keeps getting better over time. In honor of it receiving my top spot, I feel like I should do a very brief song-by-song breakdown, about 13 years too late.

Shalom- Great opener. The vocal arrangements at the end are impeccable. (Actually, I believe they attempted something similar with Sameach, on Shalsheles Connections).

Ani Ma'amin- Very pretty song, although I believe it does drag on a bit too long. Then again, that was the norm over a decade ago.

Gadol- While the riff might be unoriginal, this is still a dynamite song. Love the production. Anyone else notice the similarity between the guitar solo on this song, and Es Panecha on the Chevra 2 album?

Olatz- My favorite song from this album. In my book, the most important component of a song is that the words match the melody, be they from Tanach, Gemara, or one's own. This has always been the hallmark of Shalsheles, as evidenced by this masterpiece of a song.

V'nocho- Another very nice song, but nothing on it particularly stands out.

V'hoyo- Ditto. (While I realize this came first, I can't help but notice the jarringly similarities, both melodically and regarding production, between this song and Ki Tov on Shalsheles 5.) 

Y'hi Shalom- I consider this song the perfect sequel to Esa Einai. While it might never enjoy the same popularity, it is of equal quality and perfection.

Bo'ee- Another underrated, beautiful song. I'd go in to more detail, but this has gone on long enough.

Tzadik- If this is the filler song- and make no mistake, it is- then this album is definitely great. My one complaint- as with many songs from the first 3 albums (i.e. the Yisroel Lamm era), it is a tad too lengthy.

Mi Von Siach- I've yet to hear a better chuppah song. 'Nuff said. 

Other honorable mentions, in no particular order: Shalsheles 3, Benny Friedman- Ta'amu, MBD- Efshar Letaken, Menucha 1, Shwekey- L'sheim Shomayim/Cry No More.

1 comment:

  1. While i agree with most of your list, i must say that the omission of shalsheles 3 and shalsheles junior cuts deep. Also in your review of chevra 2 you left out es panecha, eli gerstners best song. The list lacks credibility because you left out shlomo grossmans classic shalom bracha.

    ReplyDelete